Monday, August 18, 2008

New Quilt - Starlight


Lots going on here. Vacations! Concerts! Lots of work at odd hours. So, I have not posted in a while but am feeling caught up so here's my news: quilting and other.


I needed a new project to take on our family trip to Washington. I had some fabric I bought at the quilt show in Denver in March. I met the greatest gals at this booth called Grandma’s Quilts . Bonnie and Gloria helped me plow through all of their bins of cloth looking for coordinating and interesting cloth. They had tons of fat quarters! I went away with a bag full.


After looking at the other vendors, I returned to buy more! They were so great to talk with. They asked me what I was going to do with the cloth and I had a vague idea of making a fence post type quilt. Bonnie in particular encouraged me to think smaller. She showed me some of her work with 1 inch squares – it was impressive. I had not done really small work before and was kind of hesitant to commit – they were very persuasive. We agreed that I would email them in the future to tell them about my proposed design. The email clue would be “ok, you win” meaning that I had seen it their way. Well, for this new project, I needed something that I could hand sew during my daughters’ naps, in the car (maybe), on the plane (next to a 2 year old???), was easy to transport, could be done with cloth on hand and could be hand-sewn.


Quiltmania came through again with a beautiful design that met the criteria. I’m using mostly reds with some rusts, purples, and a few greens and blues. I need to make 184 of the hexagonal star shapes. I think this project will take me several years but so far, it is fun. The seam allowance is only 3/8” because of the convergence of so many seams at the center of the star. The first start took me about an hour but now I’m down to about 20 minutes. I find hand sewing incredibly relaxing. I like being able to sit and watch the Olympics now and generally being with my family in the evening.

2 comments:

erica e said...

oh wow! this is going to be fantastic. it does look like a fun project -to enjoy and not rush through. it'll be so wonderful when you get it all finished.

vicking said...

aloha,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, We are the group of poor boy (but we have good capability in art skill) , who wants change the life, and wants change the bad statement about us.
No body respect us up to now, because we only have the art capability. We meet to gather in one day, and we have same opinion about this, so we walk to gather in one company, but we have trouble, about how we can contribute our skill? and then, I choose the internet for this solution, and all of us agree with this.
So, we hope you can help us, and we say thanks for your kindness. nice to meet you ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,