Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Free Motion Quilting - still learning the basics

I bought a quilting foot and immediately used it on a baby blanket. I did a simple stipling pattern as this was my very first time using the new foot. On the back I noticed some oddities - the front side stitches were pulling through to the back creating a centipede sort of look. I emailed Jacquie at Tallgrass Prairie Studio for help. She asked for a picture. My camera is not good at capturing closeup so I drew a hand sketch. She also suggested it might be a tension problem. Thanks for the suggestion Jacquie! I think she's right so I will try to figure out how to correct it. The top came out fine, BTW - (just don't look at the back, hee-hee-hee).

PS - here is the finished quilt. Thanks for the advice, Kim. I need to get better about making time to test new techniques instead of plowing ahead.


Funky Kim said...

Definitely a tension problem. I have to fiddle with my tension on a practice piece before I start any quilting with my machine.

jacquie said...

i was reading the other day and read that if the problem is on the bottom it's the top tension or thread....if the problems on the top it's the bottom tension or thread....don't know if this will help for the future, but it's something to think about.